Sunday, June 20, 2010

Second Sackville Run = Success

Wow, my run was definitely not as zen as Jenni's today, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. After reading Jenni's thoughts on running for the sake of running and being in the moment, I can only imagine that my next run will be even better.

Today I tackled the same 2.6 miles from Friday, but at a cooler temperature and and a better level of hydration. On average it was definitely better than my first Sackville run. At first as I was running up and down the rolling hills I thought that I would definitely not want to run back up and down the same hills. These are not very motivating thoughts to have while running. There is a reason I generally avoid hills like the plague - I hate them. If Jenni would have been with me, she would have said something like, "We got this!" or "Don't look at the hill, just look at the ground." It is not nearly as convincing when I tell myself. Soon enough though, I got into the running zone and barely noticed the hills. I finished in a reasonable time and felt grrrrreat! For the rest of the day, I was feeling a little less great. Another reason why I generally avoid hills is because they give me shin splints. After my bad run the other day, I had mild shin splints. After my run today I had such bad shin splints that I could barely walk. My next run will definitely be on a flat surface!

My plan is to do 4 flat miles on a trail on Tuesday. Now that I have announced it publicly, I will have to do it.

Next time I do my 2.6 mile run though, I am definitely bringing a camera. There are sheep and cows and tractors and everything along the route. Ridiculous. I live in the boonies.

Today's summary
Distance: 2.6 miles, mostly pavement
Lessons learned: Hills suck especially when you are out of shape
Song that rocked my run: Private Idaho - The B52s

No comments:

Post a Comment