Friday, June 18, 2010

First Sackville Run = Fail

I left Austin, Texas on May 30 knowing that I would be traveling for two weeks before I would be in my new house in Sackville, NB. I packed a large quantity of running clothes because I knew I would have nothing to do for 2 weeks except run. Yay! Except I totally underestimated the power of my own laziness. Without Jenni there to force me out of bed and into my running shoes, I just stayed in bed and sometimes on the couch. In the entire two weeks, I only ran once, and it was on a treadmill!

I moved into my new house 4 days ago and every day since then I have vowed to go for a run "tomorrow." Conveniently, tomorrow never came. Yesterday my excuse was eating too many chips. Today my excuse was getting up to late. Finally Jenni convinced me to JUST DO IT, DAMMIT. So I did. I set out for my run at 2 pm. It was a lovely breezy day here in Sackville, and it felt amazing to get out running. I felt so amazing that I didn't even mind the rolling hills on my short 2.6 mile run/walk. Usually I avoid hills at all costs, but today I loved them. Well, at least for the first 11-12 minutes. I was running too fast and then the sun came out and the wind died down and it was damn hot. I wasn't very well hydrated, but I had thought to myself, well it's not like it is Texas. But let me tell you, it sure felt like it. I was hot and dehydrated and miserable, so the last 1.3 miles of my run consisted mostly of me running for 30 seconds to a minute and then walking for 3 minutes. It was pathetic. I even faked an injury because these obnoxious high school kids kept driving past me and yelling things. I was embarrassed that I was barely running, so I started limping. Seriously.

Summary:

Route: 2.6 miles, mostly pavement
Time: I don't even want to know.
Lessons learned: 1) Don't run while dehydrated. 2) Don't run in the peak afternoon sun even if you live in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment